For 4 people.
- About 500g aubergine, globe Indian variety, quartered
- Olive oil for cooking the aubergines
- About 150ml of neutral oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ½ turmeric
- ½ ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 1 onion
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled, crushed
- 1 inch ginger, peeled, crushed
- 3 medium tomatoes, about 500g, finely chopped or blended in a food processor
- 1 green chili, chopped.
- About 500g potatoes, peeled and cut into 1” cubes.
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- chopped coriander for garnish
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 10 curry leaves (add with garlic)
- ⅛ teaspoon of asafetida (add these ground spices to other ground spices)
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon fennel, ground
- 1 teaspoon powdered mango powder (amchoor)
- 1 tablespoon dried fenugreek leaves (methi, add with garam masala)
- Pan-fry the eggplant and a quarter teaspoon of salt in a skillet with plenty of olive oil until you get a nice char to it and it softens.
- Heat neutral oil on medium high heat, add mustard seeds and cumin seeds waiting for either of them to crackle or pop.
- Add onions and sauté until they just turn light brown.
- Add garlic, ginger, green chili and curry leaves. Cook until fragrant, about a minute or two.
- Add all ground spices and salt, except garam masala, cook for a minute.
- Add tomatoes. Cook for about 5 minutes until oil separates.
- Add potatoes and 300ml of water, turn heat to medium high, stir. Cover and cook for 15 minutes. Check potatoes are almost done, cooking longer if required. Add more water if the mixture looks too dry.
- Add aubergines and turn heat to medium. Cook for about 5 minutes. Check potatoes and aubergines and cook longer if required.
- Mix in chopped coriander, lemon juice, fenugreek leaves and garam masala.
- Taste and adjust for salt.
Haggis with Neeps and Tatties
Abuse and Bullying in the Workplace: An Ad Hoc Personal Survival Guide
Chicken Tikka Masala: Marks and Spencer vs. Waitrose Ready Meals
Crispy Spicy Okra
Satnam's Chicken Curry
Chicken Tikka Masala
The Fat Duck
Postcard From The Valley